Wednesday, April 17, 2013

"Oh, man, I forgot to tell you what happened yesterday!"

I've never been to summer camp. Each year, I spend most of my summer in my hometown; that isn't too uncommon, but seems significant to me. Being "at home" makes the days seem longer, the few months stretching out before you like a long and scalding-hot road. You find things to do, making memories during the most everyday activities.
In Daniel Clowes' graphic novel "Ghost World", protagonists Enid and Rebecca -newly-minted high-school graduates and practiced cynics- elevate summertime aimlessness to an art form. Instead of succumbing to boredom, the pair entertain each other as they trek back and forth between their houses, a diner, a supermarket, or a garage sale. They people-watch; their observations range from goofy to caustic, but even their worst commentary is amusing, somehow. They discuss weird things they've heard from family members or the people on TV, philosophizing, bantering, and griping. In talking about interesting things that happened to other people, Enid and Rebecca create memories for themselves.
Enid and Rebecca aren't tanning on a beach, or building a house, or visiting with family over the summer... And boredom is the one thing they're not talking about. They're interested in everything and everyone- even if they have to make up reasons to be.
Maybe that is what happens when you don't have days of structured activity and nights spent in cabins (if my ideas about camp life are accurate)- you make your own fun. My friends and I have always managed to do that, I can't picture spending summer in any other way.

So... If you like sarcasm and complicated characters, or you're looking for something to do this summer, try "Ghost World".

No comments:

Post a Comment